Dr. Badri Toppur
Associate Professor & Head of the Centre of Excellence
Dr. Badri Toppur came back to India after his PhD from
University of Massachusetts in 2002 to take up teaching and research assignments, and
has been teaching at some leading business schools in the country before joining RSB as
an Associate Professor and Head of the Centre of Excellence - Business Analytics. His
areas of interest are Quantitative Techniques, Decision Analysis, Operations Research,
Business Analytics and Computer Simulation. He has jointly conducted Executive
Development Programs for leading companies like HP and Oracle.
Dr. Toppur’s bachelor degree was in Mathematics from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, and
his M.S. was in Computational Mathematics and Operations Research, from Clemson
University, South Carolina, USA. In the year 2002 he was awarded a Ph.D. in Industrial
Engineering and Operational Research, on the area of heuristics for network design. He
has also done his MBA in Global Energy from Bauer College, University of Houston, USA.
PAPERS IN JOURNALS
- “Toppur, Badri (2020), A Transshipment Model for Logistics Management at Indian Oil Company. RAIRO - Operations Research, 54(4), 1087—1102, EDP Sciences, France, Co-authored with Atanu Sanyal. DOI link: https://doi.org/10.1051/ro/2020005
- “Hybrid Agile Project Management Model For New Product Development in Aerospace”, International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management. Volume 25, Number 1, March 2019. pp 1-15. With Parvez Alam. (IJOQM is Scopus Indexed and also a C rated journal in the ABDC list.)
- “Data Envelopment Analysis of Public Sector Undertaking Banks and Their Current Ranking”, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development. Volume 8, Special Issue 4, pp. 241-247. (2018). With P. R. Ramakrishnan. (Scopus indexed)
- A Study of Banking Stocks in India and an Appropriate Model for Prudent Investment, Research Bulletin, Volume 42, No. II, (July 2016). With Ramakrishnam, P.R., Subhendu Dey, and Merlin Mythili,
- Selecting a Suitable B-School – Some Guidelines, Management Compass, Career Launcher, pp. 30-31. February 2015
- Abdullah Al-Jasser, Ibrahim, Sasidhar Bokkasam, and Badri Toppur, (June 2014),Cost Allocation of Operational Materials for an Alloy and Special Steel Plant using Excel Solver, International Review of Management and Business Research, Volume 3, Issue 2. (Indexed in International Scientific Indexing, Index Copernicus International)
- Kishan, Sanchit, Sri Sathyanarayanan, G. Anand Narayanamoorthy and Badri Toppur (July 2013), Business Process Optimization in Fuel Stations. International Journal of Management and Development, (ISSN:2321-1423), Volume 1, Number 2. 120--126
- A Brief History of Data Analysis, Mathematica, Mathematics Society Journal of St. Stephen’s College, Delhi. 2009
- Ramakrishnan, Rajesh and Badri Toppur, (2007), Regression Analysis of Capacity Utilization for Estimating Competitor’s Payoff Matrix in Two-Player, Non-Zero Sum Games. ICFAI Journal of International Business, Vol. II, No. 2, 30-37. (CiteSeer X index)
- A Divide-and-Bridge Heuristic for Steiner Minimal Trees in the Euclidean Plane, International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management, Volume 20, Number 2, 101-114. June 2014 (ABDC Rating: C, SCOPUS indexed)
- A Sausage Heuristic for Steiner Minimal Trees in Three-Dimensional Euclidean Space. Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms, Springer Science+Business Media, BV, Vol 4(2), 199-217. (2005) With J. MacGregor Smith (SCOPUS indexed)
- Properties of R-Sausages. Discrete and Computational Geometry, Springer Verlag, Vol 31(4), 587-611. (2004). With J. MacGregor Smith. (SCOPUS indexed)
- Euclidean Steiner Minimal Trees, Minimum Energy Configurations, and the embedding problem of Weighted Graphs in Euclidean Space. Discrete Applied Mathematics Vol 71(1-3), 187-215. (1996). With J. MacGregor Smith. (SCOPUS indexed)
PAPERS IN CONFERENCES
- Toppur, Badri (2019) A Static Transshipment Model for Crude Oil Logistics Planning at a Petroleum Company, POMS conference held at K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai, between December 12th to 14th
- Toppur, Badri (2019) Statistical and Data Envelopment Analysis of Banks Operating in India, Annual Meeting, of INFORMS in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., held between October 20th-23rd, 2019
- Toppur, Badri (2019) A Static Transshipment Model for Crude Oil Logistics Planning at a Petroleum Company, Annual Meeting, of INFORMS in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., held between October 20th-23rd, 2019
- Toppur, Badri (2018), 30th Euro conference, June 23rd-26th, 2019, Dublin, Ireland, EU. Title of Presentation: Data Envelopment Analysis of Public-Sector-Undertaking Banks, and their current ranking. With Ramamurthy Ramakrishnan.
- Toppur, Badri (2018), INFORMS annual meeting, November 4th-7th, 2018, Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Title of Presentation: Statistical analysis of efficiency and profitability of Foreign banks operating in India, and of Indian Banks.
- Toppur, Badri (2018), International Conference of Computing Sciences (ICCS) on “The Use of Trigonometric Ratios to Obtain Optimal Steiner Ratios for Tetrahedral Point Sets”, on November 16th-17th, 2018, at Loyola College, Chennai.
- Toppur, Badri (2018), “Statistical Efficiency and Profitability of Foreign Banks Operating in India, and of Indian Banks” at the Informs Annual Meeting, November 4-7, 2018, in Phoenix, Arizona, U. S. A.
- Toppur, Badri (2018), Data Envelopment Analysis of Public Sector Banks and Ranking, VELS institute of science, technology & advanced studies (VISTAS), Pallavaram, Chennai, 26th and 27th April.
- Toppur, Badri (2017), Steiner Minimal Trees – Motivating Examples, Recent Trends in Operations Research and Statistics (RTORS), IIT Roorkee, December 29th.
- Toppur, Badri (2017), Applications of SPSS, Dr. MGR University- Educational and Research Institute, Maduravoyal, Chennai, 25th October.
- Toppur, Badri (2017), Emerging Trends in Analytics, Department of Commerce, Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College, Tiruchirappalli, 19th January.
- Network Simplex in the Design of Steiner Minimal Trees - Two Motivating Examples, Conference Proceedings of SIMSR Global Supply Chain Conference, K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Research, Mumbai. December 2016
- Toppur, Badri, (2016), Network Simplex in the Design of Steiner Minimal Trees-Motivating Examples. Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida, NCR(India), 12th-14th December.
- Toppur, Badri, (2014), A Divide and Conquer heuristic for Steiner Minimal Trees on the Plane, IFORS conference in Barcelona, Spain, July 13th to 18th.
- Toppur, Badri (2013), “GIS in the Energy Companies” at the seventh DSI conference at IMI Gurgaon, Delhi. December.
- Toppur, Badri (2012), Divide and Bridge heuristic for Computing Steiner Minimal Trees, Talk on September 7th, at the International Workshop on Decision Making and Optimization, organized by ORSI Chennai chapter, at IIT Madras.
- Toppur, Badri (2011), A Divide and Bridge heuristic for Computing Steiner Minimal Trees, at the 21st International Symposium on Mathematical Programming (ISMP) in TU, Berlin, Germany, August 19th and 24th.
- Toppur, Badri, Shishir Kumar, and Sauneet Kumar (2011), “IT alignment of Service Oriented Enterprises”, proceedings of 10th ICOQM conference held between June 28th and 30th 2011 at Symbiosis Institute of Management, Nasik.
- Toppur, Badri (2009), O.R. technique for cost allocation of operational materials, at a steel plant at APORS 2009. Attended 42nd conference of the Operations Research Society of India at Jaipuria Institute of Technology, Jaipur between December 6th and 9th.
- Toppur, Badri (2009), Production planning at a steel mill using Multiple Arc Network formulation and variation on Ford-Fulkerson algorithm, 6th AIMS conference at IBA, Noida between 28th December 2008 and 2nd January.
- Toppur, Badri (2008), Production planning at a steel mill using Multiple Arc Network formulation and variation on Ford-Fulkerson algorithm, ORSI Chennai workshop at Anna University, Chennai on December 25th.
- Toppur, Badri (2007), in Computing an Equilibrium Pair for Two-Player Non-zero Sum Games using a spreadsheet, 39th convention of the Operations Research Society of India at Heritage Institute of Technology, Salt Lake, KolkatabetweenAugust 5th – 7th January.
- Toppur, Badri and A. R. Rajesh (2006), Interpolating the Competitor’s Payoff Matrix in Two-Player Non-Zero Sum Games Due to Lack of Information, 7th International Conference on Quantitative Management at Jaipuria Insitute of Management,betweenAugust 3rd.-5th. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.119.1742&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Toppur, Badri (2006), “Computer Simulation of Accurate Estimation of Expected Pension Liability”, Third AIMS conference, 1st - 4th January 2006. IIM Ahmedabad.
- Toppur, Badri (2005), Excel Support for computing an equilibrium for two-player, non-zero sum games, 6th International Conference on Quantitative Management at IIM Indore between August 9th and 11th.
- Toppur, Badri (2005), Computer Simulation for Accurate Estimation of Expected Pension Liability, 37th ORSI conference, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 8th-11th January 2005.
- Toppur, Badri (2004), Application of Discriminant Analysis in Resort Management. Fifth international conference on Operations and Quantitative Management, Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea, 25-27th October 2004.
- Toppur, Badri (2000), An O(N2) Sausage Heuristic For Determining Steiner Minimal Trees in E3”, 10th Annual Workshop on Computational Geometry, Stony Brook, NY, 27th-28th October.
Toppur, Badri (1994), An Hybrid Evolutionary Algorithm For Computing Steiner Minimal Trees” ORSA/TIMS Joint National Meeting, Boston MA, 24-27th April 1994.
CASES, EDITORIALS, ADPATATIONS
- Toppur, Badri (2019) Maritime Inventory Routing and Crude Oil Logistics Planning at a Petroleum Company, Co-authored with M. Ramasubramaniam. Case registered as product 619-0047-1 with The Case Center, UK
- Toppur, Badri and Jatinder N.D. Gupta (2012), Enhancing Competitiveness using Decision Sciences, Proceedings of Fifth Conference of the Indian Subcontinent Decision Sciences Institute, Macmillan.
- Indian Adaptation of best-selling US textbook by Render, Barry, Ralph Stair, Michael Hanna (2009), Quantitative Analysis for Management, Pearson, 10th edition. Now available in its 12th edition.